Computers & Printing
Library computers are available to support teaching, learning and research and offer a variety of software. Current University of Minnesota--Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff have unlimited access to library computers.
All other visitors must stop by a library service desk to sign up for computer workstation card by presenting a valid government issued photo ID. This card will give the visitor up to two hours of computer access per day and is valid for six months. After six months the card may be renewed. Additional visitor computer access is available by joining the Friends of the Libraries or qualifying for a Special Borrowing Privileges card.
Visitors may use library computers to access most of our licensed indexes and databases and electronic books while using library computer workstations. All users must agree to abide by University Libraries policies.
SMART Learning Commons
The SMART Learning Commons computers are available to U of MN faculty, staff, and students only. They specialize in providing access to computers that have software and hardware for multimedia production, media viewing, and AV conversion. They also have practice tests for the GRE, TOFEL, and other standardized tests. SMART Computer Features:
- Video, Image, and Audio Production
- AV Conversion/Transcoding
- Test Prep Materials
Wireless access is available throughout Wilson Library via the University’s network.
Two computer scanners are available at the SMART Learning Commons. A USB-drive scanner is also available for U of MN or public use in the basement of Wilson Library. Color and Black & White scans are available. Please see a library staff member for additional information and assistance.
NOTE: Printing is currently unavailable from laptops. To print at the Wilson Library you must be using a library computer or SMART Learning Commons computer.
- Add value to your UCard or GopherGold Card if needed. See options in table below.
- B/W Printing cost: $0.12 per page, single-side (Note: double sided printing costs $0.24 per page/$0.12 a side)
- Color Printing cost (only available in SMART Learning Commons): $1.00 per page, single-side
- Print your document (File > Print) from any Wilson computer. You will be asked to enter a job name and an ID. You do not need to use a university ID, just a name that you will recognize when you retrieve your print job.
- With your UCard or GopherGold card, go to the nearest printer. Two printers are located on the 1st floor, one in the SMART Learning Commons and the other in the Reference Room. One printer is located on the basement level, next to the Value Port machine.
- Swipe your UCard or GopherGold card on the keyboard next to the printer.
- Pick your print job from the list on the computer screen. The cost will appear on the bottom of the screen. Click "Print" to accept, and then "Log out".
Adding value to your UCard:
Don't have a UCard? You can purchase a re-usable GopherGold Card at any Value Port for $1.00 (which buys an empty card. Additional money is required for printing.) Add value to your card with one of the following options:
- Add cash: Use the Value Port machine located across from the desk on the basement level of Wilson Library. Other Value Port locations
- Add with a Credit Card / Check-Card: A minimum $10 deposit (plus $2 fee) is required for each transaction.
- Credit Card to UCard (U of M Students/Staff/Faculty/Alumni)
- Credit Card to GopherGold (all other users)
- Or go to: https://www.gophergold.umn.edu/ to read more about the GopherGold system.
- Visit a UCard Office: The UCard Office can accept many forms of payment, including a paper check. Visit the UCard Office website for locations and hours. The location closest to Wilson Library is at Coffman Union.
Self-service black & white photocopiers are available on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and basement floors of Wilson Library. Photocopies are $.17 per page, single-sided, and must be paid for with your UCard or GopherGold card.
Wilson Photocopy Services
Wilson Copy Services provides mediated photocopying and other services to the University community and public users of University Libraries. The service desk is located in the basement, across from the Academic Blend Cafe. Copy services will not make copies that violate copyright. Services include :
- Regular black and white photocopying. 20¢ per exposure.
- Transparencies. 50¢ per copy.
- Sheet-fed copies. 10¢ per exposure.
The Wilson Copy Service accepts cash and checks only. If you are affiliated with a University department, you may also use a valid EFS string. To contact the Wilson Copy Service directly, call 626-0581 when the service is open. Current Wilson Copy Service hours are listed on the Wilson Hours page.